Ever have those random kitchen concoctions that turn out to be a big hit? This soup is exactly that!
It’s sooooo good! Seriously, good. Light and bright, yet filling, and simple enough to throw together last minute or double for a large family.
This Roasted Carrot Ginger Soup is suitable for Candida Stage Two, Paleo, Autoimmune Protocol AIP, GAPS, Weston A. Price, gluten free, dairy free option, low purine, MRT Leap and is considered to be low-fat.
Here’s how I made it!
- One pound organic carrots
- Two teaspoons fresh grated organic ginger
- One half teaspoon garlic powder
- One teaspoon real salt
- One quarter teaspoon allspice
- One quart bone broth or meat stock (I used chicken broth, but those monitoring purines could use vegetable broth). Keep reading to the end for a quick bone broth recipe.
- Roast the carrots in a 350 degree oven until soft and slightly browned, about 30-40 minutes. ***Don’t skip the roasting, it brings out a sweeter carrot flavor!
- Meanwhile, bring broth to a low boil and add all the spices.
- Remove carrots from oven, place in pot with broth and spices.
- Simmer together for 5-10 minutes, adding more broth if you desire a thinner soup.
- Remove carrots and broth from heat.
- Allow it to cool just a bit, and safely transfer to a blender & purée or use an immersion blender.
- Serve warm with a garnish of your choice!
- Beet sauerkraut (my favorite!)
- Creme fraiche
- Glob of pastured butter – also so yummy!
- Pickled ginger
- Orange slices
- Buttered sourdough bread is NEVER a poor choice!
Homemade bone broth imparts rich flavor and deep nutrition to this Roasted Carrot Ginger Soup. The general rule for successful broth making is that the creepier the ingredients, the more nourishing the broth.
Using chicken backs or beef knuckles works well, but chicken feet are uglier than both those options and as such, produce a tastier end result! Jiggly and slightly disturbing, chicken feet yield lots of collagen, minerals and inquisitive side glances from husbands.
“Is that dinner?”
“Why yes, dear! Yes, it is! It’s Roasted Carrot Ginger Chicken Feet Soup!”
(To avoid push-back, may I suggest using an opaque lid on your pot? 😉 )
Fix It and Forget It Bone Broth Recipe
I’ll post a full-fledged recipe for broth in the future, but essentially it goes like this.
Accumulate leftover veggie scraps (onion, celery, scallion, garlic, carrots, rosemary or other herbs), one or two pounds of chicken feet, leftover chicken drumsticks, a sizeable glug of Apple Cider Vinegar and about one tablespoon of sea salt. Pile everything into a crockpot. Cover with enough water (I use my squeaky clean Berkey Filter water) to submerge everything. Set heat to low and let it go for 24-48 hours.
Easy peasy lemon squeezy! 🍋
The posts on my website may contain affiliate links to various products. If you make a purchase through these links, I will receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Well Made Wellness.
Leave a Reply